Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Buttermilk Pie

I fell in love with buttermilk pie the Thanksgiving Emma was born. My family was all in Texas with us meeting Emma for the first time and we took a trip to Central Market!! (one of my favorite places on Earth...oh how I miss it) They had several buttermilk pies out for Thanksgiving, none of us had ever tried one, and it looked delightful, so we got one and was it ever! I have searched and searched for that exact recipe but have been unsuccessful in finding it. I did find Central Market's blog and their recipe is called Mrs. Paschal's Buttermilk Pie so if anyone ever comes across it, please send it my way!

In my search for this particular recipe, I have come across several different ones. The first one I tried was good but just not the same. But this second recipe I found is not quite as good as Central Market but pretty darn close. I have to credit Crisco for the recipe. I made it this past weekend when my in-laws were visiting and we all thoroughly enjoyed it! I hope you do as well...

Tips: if the pie starts to brown on top before the center seems done, place a foil dome over top the pie so that the foil does not touch the surface of the pie but will prevent it from further browning. Also, the recipe gives instructions for homemade crust but this time I just used a frozen pie crust and it worked just fine!

Buttermilk Pie


Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Crisco
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons cold water


Filling:
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons self-rising white corn meal mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, slightly beaten


COMBINE flour and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Cut in half a mixture with pastry blender or fork until mixture is fine and mealy. Cut in remaining shortening until mixture is consistency of small peas. Sprinkle water over mixture; stir gently with fork until sides pull away from sides of bowl. If some dry particles remain in bottom of bowl, sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon water; continue to stir with fork until particles are worked into dough. 


SHAPE dough into ball. Flatten dough ball to 1/2-inch thickness., rounding and smoothing edges. Roll out dough on floured surface to 11-inch round. Carefully roll dough around rolling pin. Unroll into a 9-inch pie pan. Fit evenly into pan. Do not stretch. Fold edges under to form standing rim; flute. 


HEAT oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar and corn meal mix in medium bowl; mix well. Add butter, buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs.; blend well. Pour filling into crust-lined pan. 


BAKE 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from center comes out clean. Pie will continue to set as it cools. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour or until completely cooled. Serve at room temperature of refrigerate until serving time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment