Thursday, January 12, 2012

What Did God Make?

On Wednesday nights at church, Emma is in a class with her other 2 year olds friends called...


It's the first club you are in of the Awana program. This is a great program that churches offer for kids to really dive into scripture. Now obviously at 2 years old, we aren't having them memorize bible verses quite yet but we are teaching them some very valuable lessons on a 2 year old level. I teach Emma's class along with another lady and each week, through a story time and craft, we teach the kids something different that God made. This year so far we have learned that God made the sun, the flowers, vegetables, farm animals, fish and birds, zoo animals...just to name a few. So last night's lesson was God Made Me! During our story we talk about what God made and then we have the kids say "God Made (fill in the blank)" several times so it will hopefully sink in. They really like it too when we have them say it really loud and then really quiet! We then make a craft to go along with our story so last night we made a picture frame...

The kids really enjoyed getting to decorate their frames with their own pictures. And they are always so proud to show Mom and Dad what they did when they get picked up. So Emma and I were driving home last night and I started asking her what she learned in her class. Now Emma is actually too young to be a Puggle because you aren't really supposed to start the program until the year you are 2 the September Awanas starts. But since I was teaching the class, and she turned 2 just a few couple months later, we went ahead and started her this year and then she will just repeat Puggles again next year. So she is a bit younger than most of the kids in her class and I don't really ever expect her to retain as much of what we teach as the others. But last night she absolutely blew me away. I said, "Emma, tell Mommy what God made tonight?" Without missing a beat she said, "God make-a-Emma!" I cannot even tell you how much that warmed my heart :) So I asked her, "Who else did God make?" Again she immediately role called her whole class, "God make-a-Cawee(aka Callie) an Wuke(aka Luke) an Zoe an Manawin(aka Madelyn) an Way(aka Rae)!" Oh my goodness, I was one proud Mommy! My sweet baby amazes me everyday but that hit the top of my list. I love her to pieces!!

1 comment:

  1. Wait til she really starts blowing your mind when you realize the things she is hearing and learning and remembering when you think she's not even listening! Lydia loves to look at my necklace (a cross), so every time she admires it, I tell her about why I wear it...Jesus died on the cross for my sins, so I wear this to remember...Well, last week she was looking at it, and then looked up at me and said, "Jesus died on the cross." I started crying! To hear that she has actually heard me and is starting to talk about Jesus (and sing about Jesus) in a way that is more than just repeating, makes me cry every time. :)

    Love you and that sweet girl!!!

    ReplyDelete